Monday, July 21, 2014

Raw Materials for a Rag-Quilt

I am working at a fabric store, and I don't know how to sew.  It's a bit depressing really, so I intend to rectify that, starting with a rag-quilt project to become familiar with my mom's sewing machine.  The first one will be for me, since it is an experiment.  If it turns out well, I think more rag-quilts will be nice gifts for family members, but with themes to suit each person.  I picked a Halloween theme because my birthday is the day before, and no matter how I try to shake my childlike enthusiasm for the holiday, it stands firm at first place in my heart.  
 I had a total blast picking out Halloween fabrics.  There's just something about raw materials that scream "possibilities" to me.  I love having a vision or idea in my mind of something, and then actually creating it!  I know I have only shown works in progress to this point, but rest assured, the completed works will show up soon!


Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! It's so you. I know just what you mean about raw materials and possibilities. Early in my marriage, I haunted fabric stores and dreamed of all the possibilities...I can't imagine working in one! I still have boxes of stashed fabric that I bought years ago and have had to ignore. But when I get them out (as I did this spring) all of the inspiration comes back to me and I keep the ones that I know I will still want to turn into reality one day. Dreams.... I love watching you work out your projects here! I love the Halloween prints!
    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Luck' from Mom! I like that the purple showed up all the different Halloween fabrics really well. Total blast? That shows when you grew up...nice.

    ReplyDelete